Thanksgiving is my most favourite of American traditions. Food, family, friends and fankfulness, what a great combination! Lyndi and I have celebrated it in style in Wellington, tables out on the deck, all our American and part American friends, my mother would come and a few extras picked up at the last moment. Lyndi would spend the day cooking the turkeys and people would bring their favourite sides. A feast of epic proportions was had.
This was my and the boys first Thanksgiving in the motherland. It started with a couple of days off school in anticipation. A promise of fine food and football. As it happened we had a lovely meal with Lyndi's parents and sister and a older couple (our neighbours which Lyndi has become quite fond of). It was nice, but very small in comparison to what we have been use to over the years. I think the boys missed the excitement and bustle of our Wellington thanksgiving.
One of the great things about thanksgiving is that it is the only one of America's celebrations that hasn't been hijacked by wanten commercialism. It is still mostly about family. Oh how naive I was... For weeks I had been hearing about black Friday and was so confused as I couldn't find a Friday that fell on a thirteenth. Thursday while watching TV at Lyndi's parents it hit me, it was referring to the Friday after thanksgiving when huge deals were being offered. Some of these sales were massive, starting at Midnight or 5am in the morning! With a few super deals to entice thousands through the door, the Christmas panic buying could begin.
So glad our capitalistic society did not disappoint!

No comments:
Post a Comment