I have had a white Christmas once before, New York 1995. Actually it was more of a ugly brown Christmas because although it had snowed before I got there, New York is such a metropolis that after a few days the smog turned it all brown.
This year we have already had snow and because it really hasn't got above freezing, most of it was still around - now with this dusting everything looks pristine again. With more forecast today it should be a quite a picture.
Christmas in the States is amazing, like everything else Americans go all out. I like all the Christmas music. Every time you turn on the radio there is a new rendition of an old classic, or a contemporary artist fleshing out a new carol. I have heard hundreds of new songs, and surprisingly not once 'Snoopys Christmas'! It is freezing, so caroling outside is a non event. I miss the mass singing of 'Carols by Candlelight' in Wellington, but the songs do make more sense. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, jack frost nipping at your nose.
Christmas lights make more sense too. With darkness at 4.30, the evening it is a showcase of lights and wonder. I try to drive different roads each night so we can see a new street lit up. Some homes look like Santa landing strips.
We have a few lights up too, a pine in the front of our yard makes a perfect outside Christmas tree. In our limited time in the States we will never compete with our neighbours, but we can make a contribution.
Merry Christmas All.
| Fog settles on the trees as ice. |
Glad you're enjoying your white Christmas. Carols by Candlelight was fun this year, but it was raining buckets all day and quite windy, so not the funnest conditions, but fun nonetheless.
ReplyDelete