Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Football

Number 2 boy played his first game of American Football Saturday. 3 weeks of 3 hour practises and finally he gets to play!

The beauty of this game is how 8 minute quarters translate into a 2 hour game! I understand now why everyone else brings cushioned seats to sit on the bleachers. Wont be making that mistake again.

I understand the basic rules. Get the ball down the field 10 yards in four plays to progress, and run it over the end zone to score. But there are a myriad of technical fouls which as yet go right over my head and keep the game progressing in 5 second intervals. I am told that mistakes are common in the first game and that the flow of the game will get faster. Since the season is only 6 weeks, I am hoping it wont be too long before they get it.

With pads and helmets it was like sending them out to battle. Its a good thing they have big numbers on their shirts or there would have been no way of telling which one was my boy. With the helmet on he probably didn't hear me cheering for him anyway. The boy got plenty of game time though, since his team was getting a whooping and he was on defence, he was on the field a lot. But like most of the boys on the field he never once touched the ball.

Such is football.

No comments:

Post a Comment