Thursday, September 22, 2011

Reminders of Home

It is amazing the things you cling to when you are away from home.

Someone you meet who has travelled to New Zealand instantly becomes a friend. The words All Blacks, Maori, Rugby suddenly raise your heartbeat. You start begging kiwi expats in neighbouring states to come visit you. Local newspaper articles no matter how obscure, become treasures when mentioning the motherland. You talk to a person who once knew someone who was related to someone else who had a conection to 'down under' and they have your undivided attention. Even finding Australian Bundaberg Ginger Beer in the local supermarket sends you into a buying frenzy.

Then there are the rituals. I still check my 'Stuff' app on my phone several times a day. I tell myself it is the best, most balanced news site. Whenever I see a clock, I instinctively translate the time. Then I anxiously count the days till the change for daylight savings, when the time difference will lessen. (Its this coming weekend in NZ, November in the US). I know it's crazy but I just cant help myself.
Last week I followed a motorcycle gang sporting Australian and US flags to a nearby town, hoping that they would pull over so I could talk to them. I couldn't believe my luck when one of them went through a speed trap got pulled over and they all had to stop. Sure enough there were kiwis among them, even a couple that had lived in Karori. It made me so happy.

I don't feel homesick, but I still cling. 

Maybe I am worried that I could lose myself in this vast expanse?


Found this at one of the locals homes when visiting on the weekend. Made me laugh.

2 comments:

  1. Oh you are so spot on with everything you said! I really laughed at the dishwashing liquid - just last week I bought that same NZ scent of dishwasher tablets - I even took photos! I think I'll have to post them on FB now just for you lol! The other day I spotted a car with a license plate that said "wahine". I followed it as long as I could but alas they didn't stop. I still wonder who that could have been! In a couple of weeks I will get my fill of Kiwis - the New England consul puts on an annual hangi here in New Hampshire. Yes, I know, go figure - NH of all places. 800 of us Kiwis all in one spot. Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’ve used that much dishwashing detergent already?

    Bundaberg Ginger Beer makes me think of hot summer days hanging out on the mezzanine floor of the 'Tower' building with you.

    You miss New Zealand. Of course you do. How could you not?

    ReplyDelete