Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What's up dad!

Now that the boys are older, parental affection is scarce. So Fathers Day offers a rare opportunity for some good old fashion hugs and words of appreciation from my boys.

So it was with anticipation that I woke early on Sunday morning and got out and about with the little boys!

No big fanfare - so I waited patiently for the older boys to rouse and remind the little ones. But by lunchtime with no hint that anything special was going to happen, it was looking increasingly likely no one remembered it was Fathers Day! I started dropping hints, big hints and then even bigger ones, no one even battered an eyelid.

One of the things you are not quite prepared for when moving countries is that traditions are suddenly turned on their head. Sure I knew that fathers day was celebrated on a different day in the States; Lyndi's dad was the recipient of a belated Fathers Day every year because of that fact. But I wasn't prepared that my own family would need the mass media to remind them!

I guess Lyndi felt bad - the next day she bought me flowers, cadbury chocolate and a fancy little cake.

Fortunately for me Mothers Day is the same in both countries.

1 comment:

  1. You mean fortunately for Lyndi! Also, I need the mass media to remind me and I haven't even moved countries, I just forget.

    But happy Father's Day! You're a great dad.

    ReplyDelete