Friday, August 26, 2011

Driving Miss Daisy

I had a nightmare last night that I was driving on the wrong side of the road trying frantically not to get killed. Fortunately despite the panic of recognizing I was on the left, cars seemed to compensate for my error and pass me courteously with a smile and a wave.

Of course this is actually my everyday reality.

I love driving, and I love driving in the States. The roads are big, the cars are big and air conditioning and cruise control are standard. I also love the digital compass and temperature readings especially since I can set it to celsius.

I am getting American driving down to a fine art. I look natural cruising down the road in the work pickup with my extra large soda in my oversized cup holder. Balancing the extraction of a packet of dill flavoured sunflower seeds with the necessary occasional friendly wave. I probably need a cowboy hat to really make the picture perfect but I cant bring myself to buy one, that right of passage needs to be bestowed not usurped.

There are still the annoyances of a lifetime of driving on the opposite side of the road though. In a hurry I often jump into a vehicle set to drive, only to find there is no steering wheel in front of me. When I am backing I always twist my body the wrong way to see. The worst is when I am in the passenger seat and constantly looking at the rear view mirror expecting to see something.

So far I have managed to avoid a major mishap. I check my position on the road constantly, look for vehicles in front of me for cues on speed and courtesy, and if in doubt move really really slowly. I may drive like a Nana, but at least I am alive.

Friends Corvette outside our place.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Ganesh! So glad you started a blog! It's fun to see America through your eyes. Although I have to say, it's all sounded really familiar, but just backwards. I felt all those same things when we went to NZ.

    I'm so glad you're enjoying it here! (At least, it sounds like you are!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to post basically the same thing as Mandi there...haha...it does sound all to familiar but just the opposite. Though I was too chicken to even give driving a try during our NZ tour. But, Q did manage to go down the wrong side of the road a few times, and made the same mistakes after returning to the states. haha Your blog cracks me up! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q is wondering if you have issues with the windshield wipers, when we were in NZ, he somehow managed to turn the windshield wipers on every time he went to use the blinkers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortunately I had a little Fiat in Wellington which had the blinker and wipers reversed. So I was somewhat prepared. Still gets me though occasionally. I did figure out some years ago that it should work in both countries that you can have one hand on the gear shift and your other hand on the steering wheel and could then flick the blinker on with that hand.

    ReplyDelete