Friday, August 19, 2011

Living the American Dream

People have been asking me for ages what I am planning to do in the States. I've been offering up all manner of off the wall answers including working at McDonalds and working on isle 13 at Walmart. Lately I have been resorting to the truth... I have no idea! Not many people know what to do with that. Especially here, there is alway a plan, and often several of them at the same time. The only reason you wouldn't have a plan is if you have loss your hope or just plain hopeless.

Its the American dream to have a plan, and living in this land it is expected that you have a reasonable shoot at achieving whatever plan you have. Education is accessible, food affordable, and safety pretty much assured.

At the basis of the American Dream is the simple ethos that if you work hard you can live abundantly. And so people work hard, really hard. I hear them outside my window early in the morning getting up for work, then late at night coming back from their second or third job. This level of intensity extends to everything, school, sports, extracurricular activities, even church. And accompanying the hive of activity - there is the abundance!

We are living off that abundance, our house is furnished with good quality hand me downs generously donated, our recreation is facilitated by others willingness to share their toys. But in the background of peoples mind is the haunting question, what are they up too, how are they going to sustain this.

So the question of work is never to far away. I figured we would wait until the kids go back to school, have the house to ourselves for a bit and then Lyndi and I would look at the options. No need to rush these things.

However one of our new neighbourhood friends who own a small business cleaning carpets and who do fire and flood restoration work, needed to terminate ( I love that word) one of their employees suddenly. So they payed me a visit.

The next morning I got up early.... saw some of my neighbours for the first time, as we headed out to work together.

Living the dream baby, living the dream.

2 comments:

  1. You have a job?

    Are those Americans turning you into a conformist?

    I don't think the saying goes: 'if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, buy more fertiliser.'

    Glad to hear you sounding happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the new job!

    Keeping up with that level of intensity is exhausting though, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete