In my preparation to work here I knew I would have to get a social security number. Obviously the IRS would need something to match me to my taxes. (Their moto: Tax first... ask questions later). But I was unprepared for everyone else that would want that number.
Phone companies, utilities, driver license place, and of course you need a social security number if you want to have a bank account.
It became pretty apparent that I needed to get one of these as soon as possible. After I got my green card, it says I can now apply for a social security number. So we drive to the nearest office in Cody. It is on the 2nd floor of a unassuming brick building on the main street. One thing to mention here is that there are no ground floors in America. So the 2nd floor is actually only one floor up from the street level. This has me mightly confused for awhile especially as we take the elevator.
The little office's most prominent feature is the huge man in impressive uniform standing guard. He sizes me up and lets me know the procedure. 'Fill out the form - take a number', to another guy he lays down the law 'Is that a leather-man sir? - its against federal legislation to have knife in this office'.
I fill out the form, minus the social security number, the first thing the lady says to me is 'Sir you haven't filled out your social security number' - I explain that this is why I have come.... she gives a gasp. After some frantic typing on the computer and some anxious pauses, blood finally returns to her face. 'I need to ask you some questions, have you ever had a job?, have you got a drivers license?, do you have a bank account?, have you done any study?, have you applied for welfare?'. I answer dutifully 'no' to each of these questions till it dawns on me that there is no way I can get any of those things unless I have a social security number. Is she mocking me?
While I wait, I read the pamphlet on how retirement payments work: My contributions now will fund todays elderly. When I am old, there wont be enough young people working to fund me, so prepare to fend for yourself. It is good to see that some things work the same in both countries.
Finally she hands me a receipt and tells me my card with number will come in the post in 2 weeks. She cant give me the number yet, its generated somewhere else, I will have to wait.
I take the one flight of stairs down to exit the building. I know that searching for the ground floor button in the elevator will just frustrate me.
The next day my father in law calls to tell me my social security number has come in the mail. This leaves me wondering. Have I been wrong, is the US government super efficient, or will I soon have two social security numbers?
Woah, that was super fast! I applied for mine on the first day I arrived in the US (Colorado), and received it only a couple of days before I left CO for NY one month later. The bank was kind enough to let me open up a bank account with my passport, visa, and letter from IRS stating that I had applied for my social security number.
ReplyDeletewow, one day...yeah...that doesn't seem quite right. And I'm sure she said it would arrive in the mail, not the post ;) It's fun reading your perspective, having had the shoe on the other foot what seems like forever ago now! lol
ReplyDeleteOh the memories!! I'm loving reading about your experiences - all so familiar! Luckily you have that great Kiwi attitude which helps to take it all in stride :) This does seem to be a country of people freaking out over regular stuff!!
ReplyDeleteDid you know that prisoners in concentration camps are assigned numbers?
ReplyDeleteOnly free people don't need numbers.